Raring release schedule (Was: Raring Testing)

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Wed Nov 21 13:26:24 UTC 2012

Note that I'm just replying to the -devel list because it's where this
reply is appropriate. I'm also changing the subject, since I'm way off
the original topic in many ways.

On 11/21/2012 01:21 PM, Elfy wrote:
> The general release schedule shows the expected release date for
> Raring [2], however we have control over our schedule and can change
> dates to suit us if it is needed.

The process to empower flavors, including tweaking release schedules how
we want, is still work in progress, but this is what I've gathered so far:

1)
We will not be able to move around our betas or alphas. We settled on
these dates with the flavors at UDS, and these are the days the
*freezes* will happen. We will of course be able to have "social
milestones" if we want.

2)
The freezes are not movable either. They will happen whatever our
situation was, and we won't be able to get exceptions through as easily
as before. TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY.

This is tricky, because if we decided to release, say, 2 months later
than Ubuntu Desktop (I don't know if this would have been something to
settle at UDS time too, though), we would definitely need to get more
stuff done towards the end of the cycle (after the freezes), and I'm not
sure how that would work.

The conclusion?

Well, most of the freezes are later in the cycle this time and there is
also less freezes earlier in the cycle, so development doesn't have
cease for freezes too often. Both these matters contribute to the fact
that people are expected to get features ready by the freezes as well as
to the fact that it will be harder to get exceptions in. I hope.

Considering the schedule being pushed back, I don't think the Xubuntu
team has problems delivering the stuff on time, as long as we don't
slack too much at the beginning of the cycle. (So start working!)

At the end of the day, I think we all agree that we should try to follow
the Ubuntu release as promptly as possible, because uniform releases
with Ubuntu and the other flavors brings us many and again many benefits
(which are a subject for a different mail, if somebody wants to discuss
them).

I hope this explains the situation where we are at least somehow with
the new flavor-empowering process.

Cheers,
Pasi