Resignation from Xubuntu Project

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Mon Mar 19 21:56:40 UTC 2012

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:01:48 +0200
Pasi Lallinaho <pasi at shimmerproject.org> wrote:

> On 03/19/2012 08:47 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > Due to circumstances now surrounding the Xubuntu Project, I will no
> > longer be able to participate in any capacity. For 18 months as Project
> > Lead, I attempted to keep as many as possible involved with this
> > project. Some of those individuals fought every attempt I made to
> > better the project. Now, having observed the project from the sidelines
> > for almost an entire release cycle, I find those individuals were
> > actually playing some kind of games, for reasons I will never
> > understand. As of the release of Precise Pangolin as Xubuntu 12.04, I
> > am resigning any and all positions with the project. I wish the Xubuntu
> > success in the future.
>
> Hey Charlie,
>
> I'm really sad to see you go. I wish you all the good in the future, though.
>
> To be able to make the Xubuntu community work better, I'd appreciate any
> feedback on the circumstances and/or games you are referring to. Feel
> free to send an email to the mailing list or me privately, if you feel
> it's more appropriate that way.
>
> Community will be a huge point of focus for the Q cycle. Iif anybody

Your community should always be in focus. If they do not have focus,
they leave you. Without the community knowing what is happening to
their OS at all times, they decide to go elsewhere. You have excellent
mailing lists. Instead of limiting discussions to IRC, use them. Get
the community involved again. Not everyone is going to use mailing
lists, irc, forums, etc. Each person has their own preferences. Learn
to use all the communications methods.

> else has any feedback on the community, be in touch with me, via the
> mailing list, email or IRC. We will take any feedback into account when
> revising the community.
>
> Charlie, thanks for all your work again, and all the good in the future,
> Pasi

In the past, you informed me that Shimmer was not Xubuntu. If that was
true when others were Project Lead, it should be true now. Please
separate Shimmer and Xubuntu. Shimmer might contribute to Xubuntu, but
it is not part of it. When someone asks where a discussion was held,
point out the logs, either in the mailing lists or IRC. If the
discussion was not held in the public Xubuntu channels, it should be
held again.

Review the Xubuntu Strategy Document. It is the governing document for
the project.

Hopefully, you accept these as meant, and will not add
your own meaning to them. There are no hidden meanings here. These
statements are pretty direct.
- --
Charlie Kravetz