Re: IDEA: Integrate C­atfish into Thunar

Benedek Imre nucleo at indamail.hu
Tue Jul 10 23:49:11 UTC 2012

I'm a bit sad it's unable to 'link' Catfish from Thunar, because this would have been an easy and good solution (but I comprehend its reasons). Even Nautilus can search for files, not to speak about Windows Explorer or MacOS X Finder. I know if I need built in search I could install Nautilus, but this is so essential feature, what every file manager should know (furthermore I did not talk about a built-in feature, just a simple 'launcher').

About the name. The truth is if I look on Xubuntu I would like to see a unified OS, not just a heap of individual applications. Of course this is a theoretical question, maybe it does not match with philosophy of Linux or Xubuntu. I think Ubuntu or LinuxMint owe their success (inter alia) they are unified (so a Linux distro is still possible to be unified). We should not trudge behind them and we should not fear from change. Meanwhile I know Xubuntu owes its success it moves forward judiciously - yes I know it's paradox .
When I work with an OS, I seek functions not applications. If I would like to find a file I seek a function called 'File Finder'. It's a very good example there are exo-launchers for web browsing or e-mail reading in Xubuntu. Why not make 'File Finder' like this too?
I've written the 'Application Finder' and 'File Finder' could be a nice, logical unit in my previous post - and I still believe now.
Naturally I absolutely understand if developers of Catfish do not want to give up this name.

Finally You should know I did not want to be harsh or offend anyone indeed, I'm always overly enthusiastic if I'm talking about Xubuntu and of course I'm making campaign for my idea. :-D