IDEA: Integrate C­atfish into Thunar

Joshua O'Leary joshua.oleary at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 9 12:37:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 16:25:21 +0400
Michele Mor <m_mor at mail15.com> wrote:

> Hi.
> I'm not a dev, but my 2 cents about this.
>
> > I've just elaborated a very easy to do proposed solution about this 'search thing' - what do You think about?
> > To integrate Catfish into Thunar is a bit complicated I think so forget it, leave Catfish as a standalone application and use it, but:
> >
> > 1. Rename it to 'File Finder' (as I wrote before its name tells nothing about its function). Move it close to Application Finder in Accessories (You can do it easily by Main Menu Editor). I think Application Finder and File Finder is a nice unit with clear names.
> >
> > 2. Insert File Finder into Thunar's File menu (it could simply launch File Finder as a standalone app in the actual folder). It needs to picking the code of Thunar, only programmers can do it.
> >
> > I think this solution is really easy to do, does not need big developments, but has got advantages: clear for everybody, accessible from most adequate places.
> >
> > See the mockup:
> > http://ubuntuone.com/1aQxStk30agDyA5WqOwKFU
> >
> This is not bad, but I still prefer your previous mockup.
> Having a "file finder" or "file filter" on your Thunar window is a huge advantage for a user.
> For example, if you download a file .mp3 and then open your "Download" folder it would be much easier to identify that file if you could restrict Thunar to show only .mp3 files.
> As it has been mentioned earlier, Win and Mac do the same, why can't Xubuntu?
>
> Thanks.
> Michele

Good idea, but don't forget it needs to be kept fairly lightweight. It shouldn't have a massive tracker indexing service like GNOME/Unity/KDE do, this would demand more resources and disk space for file indexing. Also thunar shouldn't be to overloaded with features - it needs to be a fast file manager, so catfish integration would be best done by another package.

Joshua