The reasons why Leafpad is fine

Darshak Parikh (via K-9 Mail) wizard.darshak at
Sun Dec 30 12:55:22 UTC 2012

Agreed that Gedit has more features than Leafpad. Gedit gives you programmer-friendly features like syntax highlighting, line numbering, terminal integration, etc., which are indeed useful.

But you see, not all users are programmers. Moreover, not all programmers prefer Gedit. There's Emacs, Geany, Nano, and many more.

Again, Gedit does indeed provide more customization, which Leafpad doesn't. But Leafpad at least obediently follows the GTK+ theme, which is enough. And it does what a text editor is supposed to do. It gets the job done without any hassles. And that's what Xubuntu is all about, isn't it?

Gedit takes around thrice as long as Leafpad to start up. The difference is clearly noticeable on older hardware, where Gedit might take around 3-4 seconds, whereas Leafpad pops up within the blink of an eye.

So all in all, I'm not saying Gedit is bulky, but it's not lightweight either. And Leafpad is just right.
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail.