Wish list for Xubuntu 13.04

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Sun Dec 30 09:25:57 UTC 2012

On 12/30/2012 11:08 AM, James Freer wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi at shimmerproject.org> wrote:
>> ISO size.
>>
>> Even if we did have more space on the ISO
>> Pasi
> perhaps we should consider what can go from the iso? This could then
> be feedback for future releases!

We did that already for Quantal, because we needed to. I don't think
there's many things that the Xubuntu team would be willing to drop to
get a few wallpapers in.

The only viable solution is to make the ISO bigger – no CD-sized ISO
then though. That still doesn't warrant including anything that fits
either though, since everything we include, should be included for a reason.

> xubuntu is lightweight and fast. The iso should reflect that - i
> consider xubuntu as a minimal installation which i then add too. But
> xubuntu also has some very useful efficient apps like the Bulk Rename
> - for photos i stopped using Krename as it's just too bulky and by
> comparison with bulk rename not so easy to use.
>
> Leafpad has been mentioned being too lightweight - Scribes is
> lightweight but it's got a fair bit extra. My editor use is for
> writing and so it sits neatly between Leafpad and Gedit imo. Medit is
> another option.
>
> Internet messenger pidgin. I think the web based sevice is very much
> better and Pidgin is dated. Meebo was what i used although now
> acquired by google. Imo.im looks better as skype can be accessed.
> Dropping Pidgin would be a fair move as web based services are
> replacing such apps.

If you are willing to pursue a change in the default applications,
please read my previous mail [1].

> Gimp? I think it's worth keeping.

GIMP is out of the ISO already due to size constraints.

> Thunderbird. It's not lightweight and i find it unusable for imap and
> that's on a year old PC. Web based mail is more common and most
> provide a good interface - no installation required. Those that wish
> for a mail client struggle to find better than alpine as it's fully
> imap compliant and speaks for itself as a corporate mail client. Bit
> old so folk don't like it!
>
> Just my humble thoughts!
>
> james

Pasi