Wish list for Xubuntu 13.04

Patrick Johnson patrick.johnson3 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 03:56:01 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi at shimmerproject.org> wrote:
> On 12/30/2012 02:49 AM, Patrick Johnson wrote:
>
> There's still references to being lightweight in the Xubuntu Strategy
> Document [1]. Please note that it is ultimately the document steering
> the development, not suggestions in the mailing list.
>
> While I use gedit myself as well, would you like to rationalize why this
> would be a good move from a generic Xubuntu user point of view?

I also use gedit.  After going from Ubuntu to Xubuntu, I found
leafedit to be lacking.  I'm not what is gained by including a text
editor with fewer features perhaps most people install a replacement
for.  I also don't see the huge resource difference between gedit and
leadpad.  I ran gedit on an Asus eeePC 900a.  Not exactly a speed
demon of a machine.

Here's a link that talkes about resource usage:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/leafpad-ultralightweight-text-editor-linux/
"Speaking of how lightweight it is, you’ll probably want to have some
numbers as proof. If the minimal UI doesn’t say much to you, try this:
when you first run the program, it uses a measly 2.8MB. gedit,
arguably the most popular text editor for Linux users, uses about
5.6MB at start. Both numbers are very small, but for those with weak
computers, every megabyte counts."

__
Patrick Johnson