Documentation Rewrite Update

Jack Fromm jjfrv8 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 01:57:33 UTC 2012

Elizabeth and Pasi,

I'm willing to help and have some time but I'm still not clear on what I
can contribute and how.  I volunteered as a Writer and Grammar Editor
and I made some minor punctuation and formatting edits to a couple
sections of the wiki tonight but I don't think that's really what you
need at this point.  It sounds like the main thing you need right now is
to copy sections of the old documentation that have not been marked as
obsolete to the wiki and then start rewriting them.  This is where I'm
unclear on how to proceed or even if I'm qualified.  I know nothing
about Docbook so I thought I would try Pasi's alternative suggestion
(opening the Help file in my Xubuntu installation and copying and
pasting into the Wiki).  But I quickly discovered two problems with
that.  First, it means that all the formatting would have to be
completely re-done manually.  Second, I don't know what guidelines you
are using for updating the content.  For example, "Software
Repositories" in Section 10 of the old documentation has been copied to
Section 8 in the wiki, renamed "Additional Software Repositories" and
there are just three stub paragraphs in there that obviously need to be
fleshed out but which are also quite different from the old document.
Based on that example, I'm not sure how much help it would be to just
copy over sections from the old document.  It sounds like you're aiming
for more of a major rewrite and not just a cleanup.

I hope I haven't completely misinterpreted what you're asking for. If
not, could you elaborate a little more on exactly what someone with my
skills should be doing to help move the project along?

Thanks,
Jack