Inkscape and Gimp buggy as hell

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Mon Aug 6 20:13:05 UTC 2012

Hi,

On maanantai 06 elokuu 2012, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> On 08/06/2012 01:47 PM, Craig Cooper wrote:
> > I got the latest inksape and gimp from the repositories.
> >
> > Inkscape crashes XFCE4 session on launch.
> >
> > Gimp does the same when using cropping tool.
> >
> > I need both these programs, and Inkscape is unbuildable on Ubuntu.
> > Don't know how hard it is to compile Gimp.
>
> I have no problems with Inkscape and Xfce4 session, but generally
> Inkscape *is* not so stable. I use it for production, but I've learned
> to save constantly.

If application is able to crash a session, there's something
else going on than just application crashes.

Craig, if the whole session goes down, you might have a video
driver problem that kills your X server.  Check you X session log
from /var/log.

Also, do you have enough memory for what you're trying to do?

(At least earlier Xubuntu versions haven't been particularly
robust against OOMs, one can e.g. lose desktop elements.)

	- Eero