[xubuntu-devel] Problem creating a custom iso based on Xubuntu 12.04

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 1 16:11:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am one of the developers of the OSGeoLive project
> http://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html
>
> We are using Xubuntu as a base to build a custom distro and for our next
> release (due in 10 days) we have ported to 12.04 code base.
>
> The problem:
>
> We used to create our iso with remastersys (backup/dist methods) and we have
> decided to switch to a new method based on the official ubuntu wiki for
> creating a custom iso. The script for this new method is here:
> https://gist.github.com/2838416
>
> We are facing a strange behaviour in all the above methods with 12.04. After
> installing successfully the iso on VirtualBox, during the first boot we get
> a message about not being able to mount  /run, / ,  /tmp, /run/lock,
> /run/shm, and finally the UUID of the hard drive. This happens with chroot
> build method of the iso, and same with remastersys, so we think it must be
> something not related to remastersys.
>
> Any ideas about this?
>
> The iso files to test are here:
> http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/6.0/
>
> The alternate iso is the one not made by remastersys.

I spoke with you briefly in channel yesterday, I'm not really a formal
dev but didn't want to leave you hanging here.

It looks like much of your script is very similar to many of the steps
defined on: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

Have you reviewed this to see if there are discrepancies that may be
accounting for the failure?

I'll give it a try this evening (west coast US) to see what I can come up with.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com