Introduction text on website (Was: A word or few about near future)

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Sun Oct 30 22:03:35 UTC 2011

On 10/30/2011 11:45 PM, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Hi,

>>> "Works also with few years older hardware"
>>> "Doesn't require 3d acceleration"
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Nowadays it being a more traditional desktop can also be
>>> a selling point as there seem to be quite a fwe people who
>>> aren't too fond of the changes in Gnome3 or KDE4.
>> I'm not sure if we want to use "traditional" (or "conservative") to that
>> matter, even if that might be correct. I think many people will think
>> "old" if one uses these words. Any ideas on other wording?
> "Familiar".  "A modern Linux desktop that hasn't thrown away
> what's good in the UI interactions people have gotten used to."

That's some good stuff, sir! We really have to think about using some of
that :)

> I'm referring here to focus follows mouse, toolbars, menus[1] etc.
>
> [1] For example, although I currently happen to be using KDE4, I hate how
> in its applications menu you have to click to view subcategories and click
> (or press ESC) to see the previous hiearchy level.
>

>> The current drafted introduction can be seen at http://wp.xubuntu.org/.
>>
>> Let's not make this an issue too big. Once we've got our latest changes
>> for the theme and the slideshow plugin in, let's try to go online as
>> soon as possible, and think of changes to that after releasing.
> Btw. There's one minor thing which I think really bad on these pages:
> * The example images are small and you cannot get full sized
>    images, even on the feature tour page.
>
> If ones trying to promote a desktop, one should at least offer
> possibility to view 1:1 sized desktop screenshots. :-)

I don't know if we want this for the frontpage slideshow, but we should
definitely have a section for full-size screenshots.

> Maybe the pages could also explain very shortly how Xubuntu differs
> from the other Ubuntu variants.  Now there are just references to
> Ubuntu, without any explaination what's the relation of that to Xubuntu.
>
> This explanation should be clear enough that people understand how
> Xubuntu differs from e.g. Lubuntu.  That one seems to be sacraficing
> functionality&  usability in the application selection in order to keep
> more lightweight.

Yes, this should be explained at the About -page, which is linked to
from "Read more about Xubuntu" in the front page, just below the
introduction text.

> There doesn't seem to be currently a strategy / positioning document
> for Xubuntu, but I think that would be a good place for such an explanation.
> I don't think it makes sense for Xubuntu to aim as low as Lubuntu does.
> User friendliness / usability (including localization etc) is more
> important.

The new introduction text on the frontpage is as close as a
strategy/positioning document as we have now, since the Strategy
Document [2] is not updated to fit the current situation yet.

Pasi

[1] http://wp.xubuntu.org/about/
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument

Leader of Xubuntu&  Shimmer Project         » http://shimmerproject.org/