A word or few about near future

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Sun Oct 30 20:03:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

On sunnuntai 30 lokakuu 2011, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> On 10/30/2011 01:29 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:
> > <xubuntu-devel at beardygnome.co.uk>  wrote:
> >> "It works well on a bit older hardware too." doesn't really read too
> >> well in English.  I'd suggest either "It works well on older hardware
> >> too." or "It works quite well on older hardware too."
> >
> > Actually, can we get rid of it entirely?
> >
> > On the old site we worked to remove references to Xubuntu being
> > optimized to run on older hardware because there are concerns about
> > how well it actually does out of the box - too many reviews were being
> > written with "this is supposed to be light-weight, and it's not"

Does this refer to resource (memory, disk) consumption or
CPU consumption (other than paging/swapping when memory
gets lot)?

> > slants that weren't painting the distro in a great light. I think it
> > would be good to focus on how great of a multi-purpose distro it is in
> > general rather than mentioning older hardware and possibly setting
> > folks up for disappointment, particularly if their definition of
> > "older" differs from ours.
>
> that's an option too. I don't necessarily want to say "older hardware",
> as many people think that it means any computer ever built.
>
> On the other hand, since Xubuntu has gathered this reputation of being
> light (whether it was true or false), it would be nice to not just
> change the direction suddenly - at least seemingly.  This is why I'd
> like to keep it, and also since we are getting light(er) again, compared
> to Ubuntu for example.
>
> Any ideas on how to express that Xubuntu works with say 5-year old PC's
> too, but probably not with anything really ancient?

"Works also with few years older hardware"
"Doesn't require 3d acceleration"
?

Nowadays it being a more traditional desktop can also be
a selling point as there seem to be quite a fwe people who
aren't too fond of the changes in Gnome3 or KDE4.

	 -Eero