Fwd: Xfce 4.10 Release Cycle Information [delayed]

Lionel Le Folgoc mrpouit at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 30 19:02:26 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 01:20:16PM +0200, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> On 10/30/2011 04:58 AM, Micah Gersten wrote:
> >On 10/29/2011 08:41 AM, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> >>Some information from the Xfce bunkers, too.

Yes, I think that the two months delay is a bit optimistic, but who
knows. ;-)

We can put 4.9.x/4.10.x packages in the ~xubuntu-dev ppa, as we did for
lucid and 4.8 (they are still on
<https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+archive/ppa>). It worked fine, and
packages got some testing, and a few bug reports were sent upstream.

Even if the 4.10 series was supposed to be focused more on polish, there
are still a few transitions planned that affect several components, e.g.
merge xfsettingsd and xfce4-settings-helper (done in master and 4.9.0),
replace xfdesktop with a new thunar desktop view (not really started),
and rewrite/cleanup sessions/shutdown functions in xfce4-session and
xfce4-power-manager (only drafted, not started either).

Also, the SRU procedure being as heavy as possible for "simple"
packages, if we ship development snapshots of xfce 4.9.x without the
guarantee that a SRU will be granted, we'll probably manage to upset
upstream developers (as we did in the past with svn snapshots of xfce
4.4 in Edgy Eft) and translators… and users, I guess.

Lionel