A word or few about near future

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Sun Oct 30 12:34:18 UTC 2011

On 10/30/2011 01:29 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Phil Whitaker
> <xubuntu-devel at beardygnome.co.uk>  wrote:
>> "It works well on a bit older hardware too." doesn't really read too well in
>> English.  I'd suggest either "It works well on older hardware too." or "It
>> works quite well on older hardware too."
> Actually, can we get rid of it entirely?
>
> On the old site we worked to remove references to Xubuntu being
> optimized to run on older hardware because there are concerns about
> how well it actually does out of the box - too many reviews were being
> written with "this is supposed to be light-weight, and it's not"
> slants that weren't painting the distro in a great light. I think it
> would be good to focus on how great of a multi-purpose distro it is in
> general rather than mentioning older hardware and possibly setting
> folks up for disappointment, particularly if their definition of
> "older" differs from ours.

Hey,

that's an option too. I don't necessarily want to say "older hardware",
as many people think that it means any computer ever built.

On the other hand, since Xubuntu has gathered this reputation of being
light (whether it was true or false), it would be nice to not just
change the direction suddenly - at least seemingly.  This is why I'd
like to keep it, and also since we are getting light(er) again, compared
to Ubuntu for example.

Any ideas on how to express that Xubuntu works with say 5-year old PC's
too, but probably not with anything really ancient?

Pasi

Leader of Xubuntu&  Shimmer Project         » http://shimmerproject.org/