Attracting new contributors via blog articles

Sun May 1 13:51:23 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:30 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi at shimmerproject.org>wrote:

> While we are still waiting to get our hands dirty with the new website,
> I think we should look towards the future already.
>
> We are migrating to WordPress, which will amongst other things, give us
> much freedom and choice in writing blog articles, and categorize them
> easily.
>
> In addition to the monthly or bi-weekly developer blog articles we
> really should start writing articles that offer and describe some of the
> "low-hanging fruit" jobs we have available in the community. For
> example, we could write something like this:
>
>        Want to be a Xubuntu website editor?
>
>        Collaborate with the developer community to write news articles
> and other current topics. Update the Xubuntu website and gain experience
> on how to work in an open source community. Make a difference on how
> Xubuntu is presented to people. Places open now. No previous experience
> needed. Mentoring available. Read more at http://xubuntu.org/contribute/.
>
> Well obviously we need to do the website editing, even with these
> articles, ourself before we get a website editor (or Vincent wakes up
> from his daydreams ;)),

You can consider me hibernating :) It's just a coincidence that I read this
email, but I haven't really been able to keep up with my emails lately, let
alone reading mailinglists and the like...

That said, I was just a day late in checking whether there had to be a
release announcement, luckily by then it had been posted :P

> but I think it is worth the effort. Just come up
> with a nice title for a small task, and make people believe it is a task
> worth doing, and that they can benefit from the task them self.
>
> Again, any input is welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Pasi
>
> --