CPU utilization applets (was: Panels in Oneiric Ocelot)

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Sat Jul 30 14:40:27 UTC 2011

Hi,

On lauantai 30 heinäkuu 2011, Jarno Suni wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 2:00 AM, Eero Tamminen <oak at helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
> > I've seen several non-technical people to like a CPU usage indicator.
> > Especially on machines that have less RAM or are otherwise slower, it
> > shows that machine is actually doing something as response to user
> > actions, like starting Firefox...
>
> ...CPU Graph takes several percents of CPU in older computers...

I don't have Xubuntu myself (I've just installed & maintain it for
relatives), so I cannot test now how much exactly each of the CPU
utilization applets takes by default, but at least you can change
their update intervals to something more sensible than their default
interval.

If I remember correctly, the CPU graph updates take ~1% of CPU
on 1.4Ghz AMD Athlon XP, when the updates happen at 1Hz interval.

I just don't understand why their max interval is limited to about
1 sec.  On older machine even a bit longer interval would be nice.

	- Eero