Xubuntu.org Website Review

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 19 17:24:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Bruno Benitez <gridcube at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to say that I agree on beardygnome's analisis of the site, and I
> would like to add that being a non-english speaker (spañish) I find the lack
> of different languages to choose the page to be rather dissapointing.

There is a confirmed bug for this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/xubuntu-website/+bug/797600

It's actually the last outstanding bug for the site.

> I do understand that keeping multiple languages on a same site that updates
> "frequently" is hard, so I wonder if it won't be possible to use the "google
> translate" tools to add a simple "you are welcome, sorry we don't have a
> better solution" feeling.

I don't have experience with translating sites and so we're exploring
our options for translation support in Wordpress when we move to that
later in the cycle. At the very least we'd like to do some kind of
revision control for pages so if translators want to do a translation
in their language they can base it upon a specific "snapshot in time"
of the site. This is also part of why we're doing this review, we want
everything updated so when we get to the point where we want to
translate we don't need to make many changes. A Google translate
option sounds like it's worth pursuing too.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com