default applications for natty

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 13:13:30 UTC 2011

Hi All,

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Glenn de Groot <glenn_de_groot at hotmail.com
> wrote:

> I also think we need to get rid of gimp like ubuntu did.
> We will probably get a large number of people going with xubuntu instead of
> ubuntu on april. (Unity...)
> Gimp is just too advanced, we could use rgbpaint, maybe mtpaint or
> shotwell.

I would be in favor of a switch to Shotwell in place of Gimp, too.  People
who want to use Gimp could easily install it, but I think Shotwell would
provide a slightly better out-of-the-box experience for regular desktop
users.  It does a good job of managing photos, and provides for basic image
editing (e.g., rotate, crop, remove redeye, etc.) It would have an added
side-benefit of taking up less space on-disk, too.

I did briefly review the strategy document before posting this & I didn't
find any text that seemed to strongly direct us here. I think making this
change would be worth considering, though.

Jim