default applications for natty

Oliver Brakmann obrakmann at gmx.net
Fri Jan 7 21:49:14 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 2011-01-07 21:41, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> I don't think we can compete directly, ram for ram, cpu for modern cpu,
> hard drive space, etc.

At this point I'd just like to mention that it's the year 2011.  Even a
five year old system will have a 2Ghz CPU (maybe even dual-core), at
least one Gig of RAM and a 250GB hard drive.  At which point do you
think it might be feasible to drop the "Xubuntu is for under-powered
machines" thing?

> I think we have to stand as an alternative to
> Gnome, and if a review does not favor that, maybe that review is not
> the one to show.
>
> As for using Gnome, the recommendation may be valid, but Ubuntu Natty
> will not have Gnome 3, and will default to Unity.

Well, considering this, how about you shift your priorities away from
the low-end systems thing, and instead focus on those users that like
Gnome the way it is now (panel-based user interface) and don't want any
social network-aware, everything-is-in-the-cloud GUI?

(yeah, I know that Natty will still offer the Gnome panel interface. But
it won't be as polished, will slowly bit-rot, and bugs with it will have
a lower priority.)

Regards,
Oliver

PS: I've been using Xubuntu since the Breezy days and, while it's
awesome, the most annoying thing about it is the apparent need to change
the set of default applications every six months. Why do that?
Stick to one thing, and improve those parts that need tending to!

PPS: I do appreciate that the default applications are Recommends: and
not Depends: of xubuntu-desktop anymore.  That was a good move!