LightDM to replace GDM

Lionel Le Folgoc mrpouit at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 2 19:35:09 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 12:50:49PM -0600, Micah Gersten wrote:
> On 01/25/2011 01:08 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > There is a new application available for Natty, called lightdm. This is
> > a written from scratch application to replace GDM, the current default
> > display manager(what many of us non-developers know as the login
> > screen). lightdm is new, and may have bugs.
> >
> > We would like feedback on replacing gdm with lightdm for Natty, knowing
> > it may still have a few issues. GDM is hard to theme, and not real user
> > friendly in Xubuntu now. The developer of lightdm is very willing to
> > work with us on features desired and getting bugs fixed.
> >
> > From a user viewpoint, I installed lightdm in place of gdm using natty
> > in VirtualBox. It worked nicely. More testing would be required, of
> > couse.
> >
> > Thought and opinions on replacing GDM?
> >

> This seems like an easy win in terms of performance for Xubuntu without
> much sacrifice.  My only question is whether or not the login screen
> will be configurable like GDM used to be (and still can be if you
> manually edit the settings).
>
> Thanks,
> Micah

(I only made quick tests in a virtual machine a few days/weeks ago…)

Currently, there are two themes engines: webkit and gtk. I didn't try
with webkit, but with gtk, I only had to create two text files, add a
background picture, and that was it.

There is also a single config file (/etc/lightdm.conf iirc) to set the
theme and other settings. It's probably as easy as the "old" gdm was.
However, there is no dialog to edit the settings (yet?).

Best,
Lionel

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33  F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A