Xubuntu LTS proposal

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Mon Dec 12 09:29:40 UTC 2011

Hey Lionel,

good to hear your thoughts too.

On 12/11/2011 03:10 PM, Lionel Le Folgoc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for working on this topic.
>
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 05:27:08AM -0600, Micah Gersten wrote:
>> So, as discussed around UDS time, we need to make an official request
>> for Xubuntu to be labeled as an LTS release.
>> Here are what I think we can sanely commit to:
>>
>> 3 yr LTS
>> Milestone image testing i386/amd64 (including point release updates post
>> release)
> That's fine to me, as long as people are able to provide testing for so
> much time (either milestone image or stable release updates).

As the testing team seems to be quite healthy now, I don't see why this
wouldn't be possible. Testing team, what are your thoughts?

>> Best effort High/Critical bug fixes
> We already do something like that (I can roughly define our current way
> as: "Remember to fix important bugs in older releases when we have time
> and didn't forget about them because someone has used the 'nominate for
> release' button on Launchpad or because many people are complaining on
> forums or mailing lists").
>
> I'm not sure that users are happy with it though, i.e. if they feel that
> there's no support after a release, or that updates take so much time to
> be distributed that they had to rely on PPAs (and so we've lost testers
> for stable release updates).

I don't see how they would be unhappy. We have a way to file (important)
bugs in older releases, and if people fail to file them correctly or in
fair amount of time after they saw the bug, there's not much we can do
about the bugs, unless we spot them ourselves. As far as I understand,
our bug triaging works very well too, so that shouldn't be the problem.
If it's about developers not having enough time, I hope there is more
communication - espeacially now as we share Xfce with Ubuntu Studio -
they might be able to fix a number of bugs too.

>> Best effort security fixes for Xfce related packages
> There have been very few bugs flagged as security issues in Xfce
> (CVE-2007-3770 and CVE-2011-1588 are the only recent ones I'm aware of
> -- also the disputed CVE-2009-4996), so I agree we can commit to that
> sanely.
>
>> This would be made easier if Xubuntu Precise would be aligned with
>> Debian for their Wheezy release with the same base Xfce version.  With a
>> proposed March 2012 release date for 4.10, it's possible that Debian
>> could move to that release before their freeze during the summer.
>>
> Due to the reduced number of active Xfce developers, their release
> schedule isn't very reliable... That's why I didn't want to target 4.10
> for precise (Debian has 2 or 3 extra months before their freeze). Now if
> many people here think the opposite, I don't want to prevent them from
> working on that goal, we can still go for it. That might imply a buggy
> release though, with bugs fixed by lots of -proposed/-updates uploads
> shortly after (similar to what is done for other parts of Ubuntu ;-).

For the 12.04 LTS, I'd want as stable system as possible, even if that
meant not pushing 4.10 in, even if it was released (half-baked) on time.

>> Comments?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Micah
>>
> Regards,