New Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter section

Amber Graner akgraner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 05:52:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> On 12/06/2011 12:28 AM, Amber Graner wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
>>> None of these are derivatives (Mint is a derivative).  These are other
>>> distribution products developed in the Ubuntu project.  I think it's
>>> much more correct to refer to them as siblings to Ubuntu (Desktop) and
>>> Ubuntu Server.
>>>
>>> I know you didn't make up this terminology, but in no sense of the word
>>> is derivative correct.
>>
>> Scott why bring this up to the UWN folks who are trying their hardest
>> to bring the news to folks, why not bring it up to the release manager or others
>> to change this.  Chris, who is new to the news team, wanted to add a
>> section to cover these distributions, and establish a relationship as
>> well as let you all know what we (the news were doing).
>> help with encouragement, inclusion and good will.  It's like you
>> are beating up the messenger.
>>
>> We on the news team are trying our best to bring coverage about as
>> many of the flavors, derivatives, siblings or whatever you want to
>> call them.  We were asking for your help and instead you complain
>> about the word.  Seriously?
>
> Because I find the term offensive.
>
> I bring it up whenever I see it used.  I even said that I recognized he
> was only using a term others use.
>
> Why should I not bring it up?

You're right you have the right to your opinion; however, its the tone
of your email (just like this one) that comes across has hostile and
confrontational. I apologize if misunderstood.

> It's not meant as an attack on anyone, but to express an opinion.  If
> you're going to add a section as a part of showing appreciation, but
> name it something that bothers someone, isn't that useful to know?

Yes, but we don't make the names up, as you know.  So there is no
sense hashing that out here. :-)   However, because you brought it up
I will forward your issues onto Kate Stewart.
Thanks for bringing to our attention.

Cheers,
Amber

--
Amber Graner//akgraner//
http://akgraner.com/

Just me Amber.

There are lots of Linux users who don't care how the kernel works, but
only want to use it. That is a tribute to how good Linux is.
Linus Torvalds