New Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter section

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Dec 6 05:40:18 UTC 2011

On 12/06/2011 12:28 AM, Amber Graner wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
>> None of these are derivatives (Mint is a derivative).  These are other
>> distribution products developed in the Ubuntu project.  I think it's
>> much more correct to refer to them as siblings to Ubuntu (Desktop) and
>> Ubuntu Server.
>>
>> I know you didn't make up this terminology, but in no sense of the word
>> is derivative correct.
>
> Scott why bring this up to the UWN folks who are trying their hardest
> to bring the news to folks, why not bring it up to the release manager or others
> to change this.  Chris, who is new to the news team, wanted to add a
> section to cover these distributions, and establish a relationship as
> well as let you all know what we (the news were doing).
> help with encouragement, inclusion and good will.  It's like you
> are beating up the messenger.
>
> We on the news team are trying our best to bring coverage about as
> many of the flavors, derivatives, siblings or whatever you want to
> call them.  We were asking for your help and instead you complain
> about the word.  Seriously?

Because I find the term offensive.

I bring it up whenever I see it used.  I even said that I recognized he
was only using a term others use.

Why should I not bring it up?

It's not meant as an attack on anyone, but to express an opinion.  If
you're going to add a section as a part of showing appreciation, but
name it something that bothers someone, isn't that useful to know?

Scott K