Xubuntu "papercuts" and push for getting translations?

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Fri Dec 2 20:42:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

On keskiviikko 30 marraskuu 2011, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> Please do NOT expect Alpha1 to be fully usable. This is the first
> images of a new release cycle. They are expected to be installable,
> not ready for users.

My list of papercuts which one can see right after booting, were from 11.10,
which I hope would be possible to fix for next release.

There are also additional issues in 11.10 which seems regressions from
the previous 10.4 LTS release.  I think at least first one is important
usability issue if it happens also in next release:

* When clicking in Browser on a link with non-recognized media type,
  there's just an error dialog instead of a codec install dialog.
  This happens at least for RTSP media stream links.  For example
  any of the ones here:
	http://m.yle.fi/w/areena/

* Bootup and shutdown take at least twice as long as in 10.04.
  (when autologin is used)

* When toggling Composite off (because it's slow on older HW),
  top panel disappears.  It comes back only when either compositing
  is toggled back, or one goes to panel settings.

* If X fails to start, bootup is frozen to progress screen instead
  of dropping user to console / non-graphical runlevel where the issue
  can be debugged & fixed and which outputs instructions how to proceed[2].
  Test-case[1]:
	sudo echo "foobar" > /etc/X11/xorg.conf
	sudo reboot

(I'm not sure whether last one is regression from Xubuntu 10.04, but
I remember there being a bug about it that was fixed long time ago
in Ubuntu.  I guess it came back(?) because of the switch to lighdm
and how switch from plymouth to that is implemented in Xubuntu.)

	- Eero

[1] This is how I fixed in 11.10 above kind of issue:
1. boot in "safe" mode,
2. log in,
3. and do:
	sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
	sudo start lightdm

[2] Something along these lines:
----
X server failed to start.  You need either to remove or fix the settings
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and try whether X server starts fine after that by
using:
	sudo start lightdm
----