Fw: Multiarch in Oneiric for developers

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Tue Aug 16 19:13:04 UTC 2011

For those who have not seen this yet:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:46:39 -0700
From: Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com>
To: ubuntu-devel-announce at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Multiarch in Oneiric for developers

Dear developers,

As part of the work to eliminate ia32-libs in favor of multiarch library
installation
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-o-multiarch-next-steps),
i386 sources have been enabled by default on amd64 systems in oneiric.
For new installs, this is done by default in alpha-3 and above; and as
of today, update-manager also ensures that i386 multiarch support is
enabled by default on upgrade from natty.

If you have upgraded to oneiric amd64 *before* today, or if you did an
oneiric amd64 install prior to alpha-3, you will want to manually enable
multiarch support on your system to ensure you get the same experience
(and see the same packages) as other users.  This is as simple as
running the following command as root:

 # echo foreign-architecture i386 > /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch

An apt-get update later, and you'll have access to the full array of
i386 packages in addition to the amd64 ones.

Work is still ongoing to optimize the Packages file download time,
which has obviously increased now that we're downloading Packages files
for two architectures instead of one.  Developers concerned about the
impact on the speed of 'apt-get update' *can* choose to leave multiarch
disabled for now. However, the next step on the roadmap now that this
is enabled by default is to start chopping away at ia32-libs and
removing its reverse-dependencies from the archive on amd64, which
means that some packages (in particular, packages in multiverse and the
Canonical partner archive) will no longer be available or usable on
amd64 without i386 support enabled.

Have a dreamy upgrade,
--
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free
OS Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the
slangasek at ubuntu.com
vorlon at debian.org

--
Charlie Kravetz