Amendment to the Xubuntu Strategy Document - Final request for comments

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sun Aug 14 21:26:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:56:28 -0500
Micah Gersten <micahg at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 08/11/2011 05:46 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > I am planning to revise the Strategy Document for electing the next
> > project lead. Since this does change the governing directive, your
> > comments are welcome, either opposed or for the change.
> >
> > Accordingly to the Xubuntu Strategy Document
> > (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Xubuntu_Project_Lead_.28XPL.29):
> >
> > /quote
> > The Xubuntu project lead serves a term of three releases after which he
> > or she must seek reconfirmation from the Xubuntu community via a public
> > meeting. If consensus is unable to be found, the matter is referred to
> > the Ubuntu Community Council.
> > /end quote/
> >
> > Since this is all that is said about choosing the project lead, I am
> > proposing the following amendment to the Xubuntu Strategy
> > Document. I would really appreciate your thoughts and input on this.
> >

> > The Xubuntu project lead is chosen by a popular vote during a Community
> > Meeting. Those elgible to vote are the members of the Xubuntu Users
> > team in launchpad. This team includes both Xubuntu Contributors and
> > Xubuntu Council, thus will be able to choose an effective project lead.
> > Project lead nominations are made one month in advance of the election,
> > by members of Xubuntu Users. These nominations may be submitted by an
> > individual nominating themselves or someone else. The leader be voted
> > on during a Xubuntu community meeting.
> >
> > It is recommended that nominees add relevant information for the
> > election to their personal wiki pages (eg: activities in the relevant
> > team and specific interests today, thoughts about the most important
> > challenges of the team in the next year, what you'd like to see change
> > in the team, work to focus on as the project leader).
> >
> > The project lead is to be the person receiving a simple majority vote.
> > The person receiving the second highest vote will be the interim
> > project lead should the project lead be unable to fulfill the entire
> > term.
> >

> This seems fine except the part about being chosen from the Xubuntu
> Users team.  This is an open team that anyone can join and while
> inclusiveness is good, choosing a project lead should be IMHO done by
> people actually involved with the project.  Perhaps that Xubuntu Team
> team is more appropriate since this is moderated.
>
> Thanks,
> Micah

I went with Xubuntu Users explicitly because it is a public team. Since
the Strategy Document already says
"he or she must seek reconfirmation from the Xubuntu community via a
public meeting". I wanted to stay within that intent to keep it public
whenever possible. If there is a concensus on this, I will change it to
read Xubuntu Team, which would be a much smaller group, and is users
approved by the current project leader only. However, it seems to me
that would allow the project lead to "stack the deck" in their favor.

- --
Charlie Kravetz