Amendment to the Xubuntu Strategy Document - Final request for comments

Micah Gersten micahg at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 14 20:56:28 UTC 2011

On 08/11/2011 05:46 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> I am planning to revise the Strategy Document for electing the next
> project lead. Since this does change the governing directive, your
> comments are welcome, either opposed or for the change.
>
> Accordingly to the Xubuntu Strategy Document
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Xubuntu_Project_Lead_.28XPL.29):
>
> /quote
> The Xubuntu project lead serves a term of three releases after which he
> or she must seek reconfirmation from the Xubuntu community via a public
> meeting. If consensus is unable to be found, the matter is referred to
> the Ubuntu Community Council.
> /end quote/
>
> Since this is all that is said about choosing the project lead, I am
> proposing the following amendment to the Xubuntu Strategy
> Document. I would really appreciate your thoughts and input on this.
>

> The Xubuntu project lead is chosen by a popular vote during a Community
> Meeting. Those elgible to vote are the members of the Xubuntu Users
> team in launchpad. This team includes both Xubuntu Contributors and
> Xubuntu Council, thus will be able to choose an effective project lead.
> Project lead nominations are made one month in advance of the election,
> by members of Xubuntu Users. These nominations may be submitted by an
> individual nominating themselves or someone else. The leader be voted
> on during a Xubuntu community meeting.
>
> It is recommended that nominees add relevant information for the
> election to their personal wiki pages (eg: activities in the relevant
> team and specific interests today, thoughts about the most important
> challenges of the team in the next year, what you'd like to see change
> in the team, work to focus on as the project leader).
>
> The project lead is to be the person receiving a simple majority vote.
> The person receiving the second highest vote will be the interim
> project lead should the project lead be unable to fulfill the entire
> term.

This seems fine except the part about being chosen from the Xubuntu
Users team.  This is an open team that anyone can join and while
inclusiveness is good, choosing a project lead should be IMHO done by
people actually involved with the project.  Perhaps that Xubuntu Team
team is more appropriate since this is moderated.

Thanks,
Micah