Add Gnote as a note-taking application

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 06:30:28 UTC 2010

Hey All,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Radomir Dopieralski
<xubuntu at sheep.art.pl>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Charlie Kravetz
> > <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> Xubuntu
> fork

> http://live.gnome.org/Gnote

> installation,
> the

> >> I personally install tomboy on all my systems. I tend to use it for a
> >> lot of notes. Is it possible to port the tomboy notes to gnote? Do I
> >> lose any functionality?
> >
> > Charlie, Tomboy notes can be imported into and opened in Gnote. I'll
> provide
> > further info about the other differences tonight.
>
> Sorry for adding to the confusion, but I wanted to point out that zim
> is also a very nice note-taking application.

Others can feel free to chime in with their thoughts, but here is a rundown
on some of the different options for note applications:

== Xfce4-notes-plugin:
+ After ~20 min of use uses 4mb of writeable memory
+ Can be set to sit in the panel
+ Easy to add notes and change between notes
- Can't create notebooks (sets of notes around a topic)
- Can't search notes
- Can't link between notes

== Gnote
~ After ~20 minutes of use, uses about 6.5 mb of writeable memory
~ Can sit in the notification area . . . not sure how it can be set to go
there all the time, or if the user would need to launch it each time
+ Easy to add notes and change between notes
+ Can create notebooks, search between notes
+ Easy to link between notes, output to HTML,
+ Can import tomboy notes
+ several other plugins

== Zim
- Confusing start up UI
- Uses 9.2mb of writeable memory on startup
+ Seems pretty powerful if you are familiar with how to use it.
+ The Sheep likes it
+-x2 - I didn't really spend much time using it after the somewhat confusing
UI at startup.

This is a note taking application.  It will not make users switch from
Windows.  But Gnote has pretty much all the features of Tomboy (just a few
releases behind), and can provide good note-taking functionality with a
minimal  memory penalty compared to xfce4-notes-plugin.

Your friend,

Jim