Add Gnote as a note-taking application

Pasi Lallinaho open at
Wed Jan 20 20:53:24 GMT 2010

Vincent wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at
> <mailto:jwcampbell at>> wrote:
>     Hi All,
>     I'd like to recommend Gnote as a note-taking application for the
>     Xubuntu default installation.  Gnote is an actively maintained C++
>     ongoing fork of Tomboy.  I know that Xfce has a notes plugin, but
>     the functionality of Gnote is much better.
>     Here's information on the Lucid package:
>     Here's information on the software itself:
>     Commit info to show maintenance:
>     I am not necessarily recommending it for the default panel
>     installation, but just to be included.  I've used it extensively
>     from within Xubuntu Karmic and have been very impressed with how
>     it works.  It does not require the xfapplets plugin to appear in
>     the notification area.
>     What do you think?
> How is the functionality better? (I don't personally use xfce4-notes.)
> How does it stack up performance-wise?
For my note-making needs, the Xfce notes plugin works perfectly. Even if
the new version is IMO a bit more complex/not as intuitive, it's still
very simple and does what it is supposed to do.
>     Jim
> --
> Vincent

I didn't find any good screenshots of Gnote easily. Jim, could you post
a few somewhere (showing off the core features/features you think makes
a difference between Gnote/Xfce applet) and link to them? Thanks in
advance :)

I'm open in including it, if it's as good as you say.

Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead
Web-designer, graphic artist
IRC: knome @ freenode