Replacing Firefox with Google Chrome

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 15:21:30 GMT 2010

Hi Marcos,

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:18 AM, Marcos <marcoscostales at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> I vote for Chromium, not Chrome.
>
> But Chromium and Chrome has a important problem: I can't localize to
> my language.
> Only the languages that they choose, can enter in Chromium/Chrome.
> You can read more here: http://acurti.es/8la
> Marked as "Won't fix" :( I think is contrary to the free software.
>
> Chromium/Chrome isn't integrated with the system, with "special"
> menus, they not use the Guide of Usability :(
>
> Best regards.

I could deal with the UI issues, but the i10n and i18n issues do not make me
happy.  One of the key strengths of free and open source projects is the
ability to translate the software into a person's native language.  For the
Chromium team to mark that bug as "won't fix," doesn't seem right.

If they wanted to mark it as "wishlist," I could understand.  I mean, if it
takes a lot of effort to set up a translation infrastructure . . . maybe
they don't have the time to get to that right now.

If the software can't be localized, then I wouldn't see much point in
including it in Xubuntu.  If someone knows of a way around this on the
Ubuntu side that I'm not aware of, please feel free to mention it.
Otherwise, I would be willing to forgo any further discussion of using
Chromium in Xubuntu for now.

Jim