Proposal: Include grandr to manage multiple screens

Jarno Suni jarno.ilari.suni at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 14:51:40 GMT 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 3:37 PM, A. C. Censi <accensi at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that grandr has dependencies on Gnome libs. From the
> homepage: Grandr is a GNOME Panel Applet that allow you to select screen
> resolution and orientation from your GNOME Panel.

I think it was not the homepage of the granddr software available in
ubuntu universe repository. It is a GTK program, but has some
dependencies. It has special licence, by the way.

> Another alternative is arandr. Depends only on Python and PyGTK. Perhaps a
> little less refined, but works well here, in 2 notebooks with Xubuntu
> Karmic.

It has nice feature that it can save setting scripts. It and grandr
both corrupt my user interface, if I change layout of two outputs many
times by them. Arandr may hide xfce4-panel completely. Both have some
kind os keyboard shortcut system, but that does not work in Xubuntu.

By the way, hardware acceleration is lost here with intel driver, if
the playground for the outputs exceeds 2048 x 2048 pixels. I don't
know, if the 'add a "Virtual 2048 2048" line in SubSection "Display"
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to create a large virtual screen' trick is
relevant anymore, though.

(I am using Karmic, too.)

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/