Proposal: Remove NetworkManager for WICD, perhaps after Lucid?

Steve Dodier sidnioulz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 22:53:59 GMT 2010

2010/1/8 J. Anthony Limon <j at flippo.net>

> Network Manager is a tricky topic so I'll try to make this as unbiased
> as possible.
>
> WICD offers a solid replacement to NetworkManager while keeping almost
> all the features. The only thing I can think of that would keep someone
> from switching outright is that Network Manager has built-in VPN
> support. After a poll of some sort we could then decide if we also
> needed to ship a VPN client by default.
>
> Also, since the next release is LTS it might make sense to wait to make
> the switch as going from NetworkManager to WICD is as easy as apt-get
> --purge autremove networkmanager
>
> - J

Despite the fact that I'm myself using wicd in one of my computers, there is
a slight difference between wicd and networkmanager that we may not forget:
the quality of the GUI.

I've rarely seen an app with a GUI as unwelcoming and badly designed as
wicd, even though it has a great backend. I think nm does the job in 99% of
the cases, so switching to something that is harder to learn and use is not,
in my opinion, a good idea at all for an end-user distribution.

--
Steve Dodier
Student at École Nationale Supérieure d'Ingénieurs de Bourges