Xubuntu team direction

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 1 18:30:33 UTC 2010

Hello,

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've been thinking quite a bit about this
and have been waiting for the appropriate time to jump in.

*General gist*: I think a council *could* be good for Xubuntu. However, its
membership should be limited to 3 people due to the small size of our
community (if we can't find consensus now, putting us all on a council isn't
going to give us consensus either); it can grow later as necessary.
Ultimately, this change should be mostly a transparent one and not a
harbinger of great change or divergence from the Ubuntu community and
processes. In fact, I feel this change should instead aim to bring greater
consistency, stability, and most importantly longevity to our project.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi> wrote:

>  Jim Campbell wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 2:46 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi> wrote:
>
>> Now, where did this discussion go?
>>

> It appears as though it went on vacation.  It has to come back to work
> eventually, though!
>

>> People seemed to like the council-type approach; what's next?
>

> I think it would be a good idea to revisit the document that Cody put
> together and see how it would need to be modified to suit a council-type
> approach.  I can give this a try.  I'll let the group know if I have
> questions as I put things together.
>
> Yeah, this sounds good. Maybe we should also briefly revise the general
> direction stuff and make any modifications to those as well if we feel they
> need to be changed.

Agreed. The document is indeed in need of an update.

>  Anybody
>> has obejctions? Should we first propose this to the Community Council
>> (or some place else) or just take the new governance into use?
>

> Once that is done, I think we should have a meeting to approve it.  We
> could at least have that as an agenda item for our meeting (which we need to
> have anyway).  I think that there is a general consensus around this for
> now, but we should formalize it.
>
> I share this feeling of consensus. Whats left to do is to determine if
we're truly ready for this step and to what degree.

Once we formalize our intent as a community to move in this direction, we
will need to go before the community council to have our updated strategy
document ratified.

>  Cody, can
>> you be our link to the other councils or whatever, as you seem to know
>> them best?
>>

> If we all approve of the change as a group, I think we could forward it on
> to the council so that they know what we're doing, but I am not so sure it
> would require their seal of approval.  As long as we are comfortable with
> what we're doing, I think the community council would be ok with it.
> Ultimately, I don't think it will make a huge difference in how we operate
> as long as things get done.
>
> I could think so as well, but you never know... :)

We are a Ubuntu project and to be fully recognized as a council with
delegated authority from the community council we will require the community
council's approval. However, thats the easy part. Coming up with a structure
that will ultimately provide healthy leadership and have any sort of
longevity will require careful planning and discussion between key
stakeholders first.

>   What's the situation with the technical team leadership? Cody, Lionel?
>>

> I think we still need to address this.
>
> Definitely!

The intention of the community leadership page was to give recognizability
to the individuals who have organically grown into different leadership
roles within the Xubuntu community. Its the person and not the title that
permits these individuals to influence the project in the ways that they do.
If anything, Lionel has only been increasingly more and more involved with
the technical direction and operations of Xubuntu and so IMHO is the tech
lead for Xubuntu regardless if we says so or not :-).

If Lionel wishes to continue in this capacity, he is more than welcome to
recognized as such IMHO.

  What's the situation with Michael? Can we remove Joszef's name from the
>> leaders list - he's still not appeared from the mist.
>>

> I don't know what the situation is with Michael.  As for Joszef, I am of
> the opinion that we could remove his name from the leaders list.  If he
> wanted to come back and contribute more, he would be welcome to do so.
>
> Okay. Let's do this parallel to the next meeting. Maybe we should also
> remove Michael from the leaders list or at least put his name on parenthesis
> if he doesn't show up in the meeting or before it?

Joszef has made his intentions clear that he has left Xubuntu for other
endeavors.

Michael should be contacted to gauge his interest.

>   To make Lucid be as good and stable as possible, I think we also should
>> have a developer meeting soonish. If we can get the governance things
>> sorted before or while the meeting, GREAT!
>>

> I agree!  I've put together a doodle poll to check everyone's availability
> for a team meeting.  Please record what times will work for you using the
> link below.  Hopefully the times will work for people, but I can set up new
> times if I've picked times that don't work for your corner of the world.
> Keep in mind that this will be the best Xubuntu team meeting ever.
>
> http://www.doodle.com/6stt9n2q7t9467q5
>
> Jim
>

> Voted. :)

What I gathered from this mail we need to cover at least the following
> topics (read: AGENDA):
>
> 1) Review the Xubuntu strategy document
> - Modify to suit the council-type approach (Jim will look into this before
> the meeting)
> - Briefly revise the overall strategy and modify if needed
>
> 2) Approve (and forward) the new Xubuntu governancy
> - See 1), will need to have the final form ready in the document so we can
> approve it!

I don't think we'll be able to come to a final draft ready to begin the
ratification process after just one meeting. However, I'm sure we'll be able
to make good progress.

Its important that whatever we come up with conforms to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncil/Delegation or a really good reason
why it shouldn't.

> 3) Review the leaders list
>
> 4) Other topics
> - Artwork for Lucid (Shimmer/polish Albatross)?
> - Default applications for Lucid?
> - [Insert your "other topic" here]

Happy New Years!

Cheers,