xfce4-panel 4.7.x upload(ed) in natty

Kaspar Kööp meborc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 07:31:48 UTC 2010

On 15 December 2010 18:57, Eero Tamminen <oak at helsinkinet.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On keskiviikko 15 joulukuu 2010, Kaspar Kööp wrote:
> > > This happened when running out of memory by opening too many huge
> > > photos in Gimp, and kernel OOM killed processes to recover.  As a
> > > result, besides Gimp, the top panel applications and places applets
> > > disappeared.
> > >
> > > I think desktop had "save session" option enabled as when my relative
> > > rebooted the machine he didn't get the applications or places applets
> > > back.
> > I would suggest a global "restore to Xubuntu defaults" option in the
> > settings manager. This should restore the panels,startup processes,
> > background etc... to  vanilla Xubuntu. Should be as easy as deleting the
> > configuration files so that the default ones are used instead.
>
> How user gets to Settings manager if Applications menu has disappeared?
>
> (most users don't necessarily know that right click on desktop allows also
> running applications)
>
> And how users whose machine is set up by someone else, even knows about
> Settings manager in general?
>

>        - Eero

Hi Eero,

As you answered your own question, all I have to add in comment is that
people using xfce usually know about the right-click menu. At least the
people I know use it frequently. May be they tried it in accident, read it
from the forums or got it from a guy with a pony tail. To be honest, I don't
really care how they know this. It is the same thing with Ctrl+Alt+Delete,
Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+FX etc. Should we make a default wallpaper with simple
(and useful) key commands written on it? may be we should :)

All I'm saying is that I would really like to see that as an option. When
people first get to play with xfce, I am quite sure they will look at the
settings manager to try out different themes, wallpapers etc or fix their
screen resolution, multiple monitor setup or whatever. If there was a BIG
"set to default" button to reset all settings, people would see it and
understand what it means. Later, when in trouble, they would just need to
get to the settings manager to click on it. NOT ONLY in case of loosing the
panels, but also when something else goes wrong. And when they have the
panel, it would be easy to navigate to settings dialog.

I hope I made my point a little more clear. I understand if you have
objections, but saying that all Xubuntu users are ignorant of the
right-click menu is just factually wrong.

Best regards,
Kaspar