xfce4-panel 4.7.x upload(ed) in natty

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Tue Dec 14 19:59:53 UTC 2010

Hi,

On lauantai 04 joulukuu 2010, Lionel Le Folgoc wrote:
> I'm going to upload xfce4-panel 4.7.5 in natty (well, it will probably
> be already uploaded when you read this mail ;).

Btw. This reminded me of an Xubuntu panel configuration issue which was
present at least in latest LTS release and I was wondering whether something
has been done for it by now (AFAIK there's no bug on it[1])...

[1] I use myself Debian, I've just installed Xubuntu for an older relative
who encountered this issue and for whom I needed to help with it.

This happened when running out of memory by opening too many huge photos in
Gimp, and kernel OOM killed processes to recover.  As a result, besides
Gimp, the top panel applications and places applets disappeared.

I think desktop had "save session" option enabled as when my relative
rebooted the machine he didn't get the applications or places applets back.

I think the default applets in Xubuntu panel should be such that user needs
to explicitly remove them, they shouldn't disappear just because they
happened to die.

(I'm pretty sure e.g. Gnome handles this fine.  At least its problem earlier
was rather that it tries forever to restart dying desktop processes although
there isn't enough memory for them.)

	- Eero