request for beta2 announcement input

Jarno Suni jarno.ilari.suni at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 20:35:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Eero Tamminen <oak at helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 17 April 2010, Jarno Suni wrote:
>>> As for the audio issues, I can only say that for me, pulseaudio is a
>>> tremendous improvement. I can finally use my sound! It works on all my
>>> systems, and I can even get the music I listen to to play through it.
>>
>> What is so special in playing music through pulseaudio? I'd say that
>> is basic work.
>
> Use Google.

I do not understand what Charlie meant, but never mind. I can play
music even without pulseaudio. I can even use a digital connection to
amplifier.

>> Someone told me that the current pulseaudio requires much more CPU
>> power than alsa. Maybe that can be an issue to some users.
>
> By default Pulseaudio uses ALSA for the sound output.
>
> Additional features naturally need additional CPU.

Well, it has happened that pulseaudio does something additional,
supposedly useless:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/207135
But it is marked as fixed, so hopefully in Lucid there is no such problem.

Still, If I have understood right, low latency requested by some
programs results in more CPU usage, when using pulseaudio.

--
http://www.iki.fi/8/