request for beta2 announcement input

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sat Apr 10 13:19:00 UTC 2010

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:54:34 +0300
Jarno Suni <jarno.ilari.suni at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Jarno Suni <jarno.ilari.suni at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > As for pulse-audio,  will Lucid be the first Xubuntu release to use it
> > by default?
>
> I tried latest Xubuntu Lucid testing version in my main workstation
> and it has severe hardware problems.
>
> I tested audio and it has the same problems that I have succeeded to
> avoid by choosing Xubuntu over Ubuntu before: It can control only one
> of the outputs of my sound card. That is one analog output. But former
> alsa mixer could handle the second analog output and even the digital
> output. I belive, it is not clear to most people, if pulse-audio has
> any advantages over the old system.
>
> When comparing 9.04 and 9.10, the latter has better driver for my
> nvidia graphics card. Now with Lucid, it can't even set video modes
> right.
>
> If these remain in the final release, I would like to have them in
> release notes. Actually, it would be nice to read about major
> drawbacks already in the testing period.

It is well known that lucid is in beta, which means it is not stable.
It also means not everything will work everyday. The nvidia graphics
issue is a known issue. It has been reported as several bugs, it has
been blogged about by developers.

As for the audio issues, I can only say that for me, pulseaudio is a
tremendous improvement. I can finally use my sound! It works on all my
systems, and I can even get the music I listen to to play through it.
No, it doesn't work for everyone, any more than anything else does.
That is why we keep asking to have bugs filed. It is also why, when
bugs are filed, specific information is asked for. Audio bugs and
kernel bugs are both filed as new bugs for each user. Why? Because
hardware is not the same. A bug for one system is not a bug for another
system. Please file a new bug for each system that has audio issues.

Thanks for letting us know you have issues with Lucid Beta. Thanks also
for testing the beta version.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu Quality Assurance and Testing