Updates for Lucid Lynx

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Thu Apr 8 00:54:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 19:36:14 -0400
nukiks at aol.com wrote:

> [...]

We need to teach you to please bottom post. Why?

Reply:
It is much easier to read this the other way around.

First message:
Why bottom post?

Now that we took care of preliminaries:

Grab the release notes I listed, create a news item out of them. We
could use a nice "press release" for Lucid Lynx Beta2 being released
2010-04-08 to start with. We need both release notes, modeled after the
Ubuntu notes, and news release.

OnBoard has been added to Accessories to assist those who need on
on-screen keyboard.

Ubuntu Software Center replaced "Add/Remove ..."

Games have been very streamlined. We now offer the following by default:
    Aisleriot Solitaire
    Mahjongg
    Mines
    Quadrapassel (a tetris-type game)
    Sudoku

While Ubuntu has replaced Gimp, Xubuntu still offers it by default.

We have replaced Xsane Image Scanner with SimpleScan, a much easier
application to setup and use.

Really big: pulse audio no longer mutes the sound on startup!

Gnumeric has been upgraded to version 1.10.1, which resolves most of
the issues seen in Xubuntu 9.10 and earlier.

Remote filesystems has been renamed to Gigolo, which is much more
direct when trying to determine the application used.

BUGS:

There is a critical bug in Abiword that causes a freeze for most
users when anything under the Help menu is selected. This does cause
you to lose the document you are working on.
(https://launchpad.net/bugs/519541)

There are still issues being worked concerning Plymouth and Nvidia
video. Due to these issues, the splash screens on boot look less good
than desired.
(http://www.netsplit.com/2010/03/30/all-about-kernel-mode-setting/)

Write it up, let us know here. We need a release notes for later today
or tomorrow. The news clip will be posted as soon as the release
happens. Thanks for helping.

Our release notes should be modeled after this:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/alpha3

Thanks for helping.

--
Charlie Kravetz