Karmic Artwork

Steve Dodier sidnioulz at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 10:19:46 UTC 2009

2009/9/13 Philip Newborough <corenominal at corenominal.org>

> I am not sure if you want to consider this as a workaround, but it is
> possible to use 'feh' to set the background for GDM. It is quite a small
> package and has few dependencies [1]. It could be used by creating
> a .desktop entry in '/usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow' [2]. I have
> tested this and it works okay [3], but I am not sure if it too ugly a
> workaround? Also, there maybe lighter/smaller alternatives?
>
> [1]: http://crunchbanglinux.org/pastebin/336
> [2]: http://crunchbanglinux.org/pastebin/337
> [3]: http://img6.imageshack.us/i/2009091312528277351280x.png/
>
>  -- Philip
>
> Thanks for the tip, it may turn to be quite useful ! :)

We worked till late with James Schriver and Pasi to begin drafting the dark
GTK theme [1] (i'll call it dark for now and we'll argue for which bird name
it'll have at the end :P). The theme itself looks really good, thanks to
James. I'll try to tweak one or two things but I think it approaches release
state.

About the xfwm theme: the default one looks quite okey with the active
window, but there is a _serious_ problem [2] for inactive windows, so we
will have to modify the default theme (and for those that use it as it is
and don't want it changed, i think we should rename our modified version
too). The xfwm theme should also provide a dark window decoration for
inactive windows, otherwise we have a dark menu bar circled by light grey,
and this really lacks elegance.

The icon theme: Elementary [3] has some wonderful icons, it looks really
beautiful. But some icons are really not fitting well, like the trash and
media-* ones, for instance. We might just steal icons from another theme
(gnome-brave or gnome-carbon likely) here and there.

[1] http://imagebin.ca/img/hGePfVe7.png[2] http://imagebin.ca/img/O53qGx.png
[3] http://imagebin.ca/img/FtvvJT.png
--
Steve Dodier