Pasi Lallinaho open at knome.fi
Sat Sep 19 22:30:08 UTC 2009

Someone Something wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am very new to any development os related. The closest thing I have
> done is network programming in C. Is there any kind of documentation
> on how I can edit the number of programs that are installed when
> xubuntu/ubuntu is installed? If not, can someone give me a basic
> outline?

Hello "Someone",

if I understood correctly, you want to choose which packages to install
while you are installing your system. The ultimate solution for
selecting almost every installed package is the Ubuntu Minimal CD [1],
with which you can select precisely what to install. The minimal
installation is text-based and does not automatically install even a
basic graphical user interface, so you have to pull in that yourself.

If you don't want to go that much into detail, you can just uninstall
any packages you don't need with Synaptic or any package management
software.

If your question concerned what I described above, the correct place to
ask would have been the Xubuntu Users mailing list [2]. Again, if this
is the case, please send any further questions in that list.

If you had something else in your mind, can you please be more specific
and verbose?

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
[2] xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

--