Karmic Artwork

Lionel Le Folgoc mrpouit at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 13 12:29:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 09:03:48AM +0100, Philip Newborough wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:39:19 -0300
> "Cody A.W. Somerville" <cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Lionel Le Folgoc
> > <mrpouit at ubuntu.com>wrote:

> > > I like it. ;)
> > > The only problem at the moment is that I've not been able to change
> > > the background picture of the new gdm. :]
> > >

> > Unfortunately, gnome-settings-daemon is responsible for drawing the
> > background in gnome. Since we don't install gnome-settings-daemon (as
> > we probably don't want to), we'll need to use something else to draw
> > the background. This could be xfdesktop4 but it'll need to be patched
> > to add an option to not show any menu on right click and other
> > similar tweaks to lock it down.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> I am not sure if you want to consider this as a workaround, but it is
> possible to use 'feh' to set the background for GDM. It is quite a small
> package and has few dependencies [1]. It could be used by creating
> a .desktop entry in '/usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow' [2]. I have
> tested this and it works okay [3], but I am not sure if it too ugly a
> workaround? Also, there maybe lighter/smaller alternatives?
>
> [1]: http://crunchbanglinux.org/pastebin/336
> [2]: http://crunchbanglinux.org/pastebin/337
> [3]: http://img6.imageshack.us/i/2009091312528277351280x.png/
>
>  -- Philip

I don't think it's worse than our usual workarounds. ;]
There are probably other alternatives, such as fbsetbg, but it's in
the fluxbox package…

I've uploaded a new version of xubuntu-default-settings using feh, and
it seems to work fine here. It uses --bg-seamless instead of --bg-scale
(my mistake, I'll change it), but eh, it's just a proof of concept to
see if it doesn't break on other systems. :p I also passed --no-menus.

Thanks for the idea!

Cheers,
Lionel

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33  F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A