Karmic Artwork

Philip Newborough corenominal at corenominal.org
Sun Sep 13 08:03:48 UTC 2009

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:39:19 -0300
"Cody A.W. Somerville" <cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Lionel Le Folgoc
> <mrpouit at ubuntu.com>wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 05:17:00AM +0300, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> > > Here is the current state of the artwork cycle for Karmic. There
> > > hasn't been that much discussion, so I would be really glad if
> > > you could give your opinions on things.
> > >

> > > 1. Wallpaper / gdm theme
> > >
> > > There is a draft version of the wallpaper/gdm theme on emonk.fi
> > > [1]. As on the Jaunty cycle, I think we'll just use a modified
> > > gdm theme as the background. Maybe lighter colors for the tree
> > > for wallpaper mode? This wallpaper works for both wides and
> > > normal monitors. Cody suggested it's a bit too blocky for his
> > > taste, but what others of you think? Personally I think it's a
> > > good depart from the earlier style [2], but it could maybe be a
> > > bit lighter. (As I look it now, it needs some more texture at
> > > least.) Opinions please.
> > >

> > I like it. ;)
> > The only problem at the moment is that I've not been able to change
> > the background picture of the new gdm. :]
> >

> Unfortunately, gnome-settings-daemon is responsible for drawing the
> background in gnome. Since we don't install gnome-settings-daemon (as
> we probably don't want to), we'll need to use something else to draw
> the background. This could be xfdesktop4 but it'll need to be patched
> to add an option to not show any menu on right click and other
> similar tweaks to lock it down.
>
> Cheers,

I am not sure if you want to consider this as a workaround, but it is
possible to use 'feh' to set the background for GDM. It is quite a small
package and has few dependencies [1]. It could be used by creating
a .desktop entry in '/usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow' [2]. I have
tested this and it works okay [3], but I am not sure if it too ugly a
workaround? Also, there maybe lighter/smaller alternatives?

[1]: http://crunchbanglinux.org/pastebin/336
[2]: http://crunchbanglinux.org/pastebin/337
[3]: http://img6.imageshack.us/i/2009091312528277351280x.png/

 -- Philip