Karmic Artwork

Simon Steinbeiß simon.steinbeiss at elfenbeinturm.at
Sat Sep 12 17:20:20 UTC 2009

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:58:20 +0300
Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi> wrote:

> >     > I'm not saying I don't like the gdm mockup, but since you said
> >     you're looking for opinions
> >     > I'll say I'd prefer something more abstract (without the tree
> >     and birds).
> >     >
> >     >
> >     I understand your point. However, if I remove the tree and the birds,
> >     there is basically nothing left. Personally I think this would
> >     make for
> >     a good wallpaper, but not something that should make you go "Wow!".

yeah, i agree. to be honest i even like it a lot the way it is now. what i like about the
jaunty wallpaper a lot is that the xubuntu-logo is really subtle and that other than that
there's not a lot going on. i personally think that was the main reason it was the first
standard wallpaper i kept for a few months. (obviously there is a hidden laud in this :) )

> >     >> 2. Icon theme
> >     >>
> >     >> We are currently using Gnome Brave [3]. Steve suggests that the new
> >     >> community-based theme Humanity [4] would be worth using. I
> >     agree, but we
> >     >> should test run it [5].
> >     >>
> >     >
> >     > I prefer Humanity, even though gnome-brave isn't a bad choice. I
> >     think Humanity (minus
> >     > the orange; I assume you would recolor it - at least the most
> >     important parts) just looks
> >     > a bit more modern and elegant.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     Of course we would have to recolor it. If it turns out coloring
> >     takes a
> >     long time, we might have to reconsider to just keep with Gnome Brave.
> >

> > Recoloring will be needed for the icons that are everywhere. App
> > icons, categories, folders. I also want the Human notification icons
> > and some UNICOLOR media icons (strong preference for the Breathe ones
> > - Human ones are cool too). Also, we may want to do a few custom icons
> > (a media-dynamic icon for instance which is used by exaile), and maybe
> > some custom icons going with the theme for the apps we ship by default
> > (i'm saying that but i don't have an exemple).
> Can you write a short summary on the notification icons and UNICOLOR
> icons? Custom icons are plausible if there is good enough rationale for
> them.
> >
> > But we really don't need to recolor every single icon. Smooth yellow
> > isn't shocking at all in the midst of blue.
> Of course not. It will take some time anyway, and the first new color
> (hue) might not be what we wanted, so the effort might become bigger
> than we thought.

+1

> >     >> 3. GTK+ theme
> >     >> [...]
> >
> >     >> 4. xfwm theme
> >     >> [...]

i think it's a good idea to offer both a bright and a dark version of the theme. while i
agree with Pasi on making the dark one standard, i agree with Steve that merging the
menu and titlebar is a good idea for that :)

> >     >> 5. U/Xsplash / Live CD boot menu
> >     >> [...]

if you can really pull of such a pretty splash i will curse my laptop for booting so
fast :)

> Keep the discussion going on :)

+1