Karmic Artwork

Pasi Lallinaho open at knome.fi
Sat Sep 12 16:58:20 UTC 2009

Steve Dodier wrote:

> 2009/9/12 Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi <mailto:open at knome.fi>>
>
>     Simon Steinbeiß wrote:
>     > On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 05:17:00 +0300
>     > Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi <mailto:open at knome.fi>> wrote:
>     >
>     >> Here is the current state of the artwork cycle for Karmic.
>     There hasn't
>     >> been that much discussion, so I would be really glad if you
>     could give
>     >> your opinions on things.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> 1. Wallpaper / gdm theme
>     >>
>     >> There is a draft version of the wallpaper/gdm theme on emonk.fi
>     <http://emonk.fi> [1]. As
>     >> on the Jaunty cycle, I think we'll just use a modified gdm
>     theme as the
>     >> background. Maybe lighter colors for the tree for wallpaper
>     mode? This
>     >> wallpaper works for both wides and normal monitors. Cody
>     suggested it's
>     >> a bit too blocky for his taste, but what others of you think?
>     Personally
>     >> I think it's a good depart from the earlier style [2], but it could
>     >> maybe be a bit lighter. (As I look it now, it needs some more
>     texture at
>     >> least.) Opinions please.
>     >>
>     >
>     > I'm not saying I don't like the gdm mockup, but since you said
>     you're looking for opinions
>     > I'll say I'd prefer something more abstract (without the tree
>     and birds).
>     >
>     >
>     I understand your point. However, if I remove the tree and the birds,
>     there is basically nothing left. Personally I think this would
>     make for
>     a good wallpaper, but not something that should make you go "Wow!".
>

> Currently with the new gdm we have a gtk window in the middle of the
> screen. I think the tree and birds could be used to encircle the
> window and decorate the background without being too overcrowded. The
> tree could be on the left, and we could make sure that for most screen
> ratios / little-medium resolutions we would have a few birds above
> (top & middle right) and on the right (right and top to middle) of the
> window, flying in the same direction.
This sounds good. We just have to see how we can accomplish this.

>     >> 2. Icon theme
>     >>
>     >> We are currently using Gnome Brave [3]. Steve suggests that the new
>     >> community-based theme Humanity [4] would be worth using. I
>     agree, but we
>     >> should test run it [5].
>     >>
>     >
>     > I prefer Humanity, even though gnome-brave isn't a bad choice. I
>     think Humanity (minus
>     > the orange; I assume you would recolor it - at least the most
>     important parts) just looks
>     > a bit more modern and elegant.
>     >
>     >
>     Of course we would have to recolor it. If it turns out coloring
>     takes a
>     long time, we might have to reconsider to just keep with Gnome Brave.
>

> Recoloring will be needed for the icons that are everywhere. App
> icons, categories, folders. I also want the Human notification icons
> and some UNICOLOR media icons (strong preference for the Breathe ones
> - Human ones are cool too). Also, we may want to do a few custom icons
> (a media-dynamic icon for instance which is used by exaile), and maybe
> some custom icons going with the theme for the apps we ship by default
> (i'm saying that but i don't have an exemple).
Can you write a short summary on the notification icons and UNICOLOR
icons? Custom icons are plausible if there is good enough rationale for
them.

> But we really don't need to recolor every single icon. Smooth yellow
> isn't shocking at all in the midst of blue.
Of course not. It will take some time anyway, and the first new color
(hue) might not be what we wanted, so the effort might become bigger
than we thought.

>     >> 3. GTK+ theme
>     >>
>     >> We want to refresh our GTK+ theme. Steve suggests that we use
>     something
>     >> Alvaro [6] -based, and personally I'm totally fine with that.
>     Overall it
>     >> looks quite good and with some tweaks to the menubar and
>     colors, I think
>     >> we're fine. Opinions?
>     >>
>     >
>     > Hm. I liked Murrina-Xubuntu a lot, I hope you would recolor
>     Alvaro that way. Other than
>     > the color-scheme I don't have a strong opinion on which
>     murrine-theme it will be. (Maybe
>     > I'm just too ignorant to see the big differences between them :) )
>     >
>     >
>     There isn't that big differences. But as Alvaro is ready and somebody
>     has tested it and made sure everything works, it's easier to depend on
>     it than MurrinaXubuntu, which also uses a gtkrc for the old Murrine,
>     thus one would had to rewrite it anyway.
>

> My idea was the following : the current default theme has way too much
> contrast and just hurt eyes with bright screens. And it is, sorry, NOT
> APPEALING AT ALL. Alvaro is a great base theme. It has 2k downloads,
> and some themes based on it too. It is performing very well in gtkperf
> (at least here, feel free to send me benchmarks :p), and the gtkrc is
> rather simple. I used it for several months and didn't notice any
> glitch with the xubuntu apps. I think we can make two themes out of it :
I wholeheartedly agree.

> a) Albatross, which would retain most of Alvaro and use my Alvaro
> xfwm, and an unified and dark title bar, with a dark panel, and a
> shiny blue as a selected_color. This would be our "dark based" theme
> for Xubuntu. We dont ship OOo.org which sucks for dark themes, dark
> themes fans will be happy and we will finally offer more than just the
> XFCE themes and our own one.
Alias "Blue Jay". We should however see if we can fix even some major
bugs in OOo.org with the dark theme if possible.

> b) Seagull (because bird names are funneh, and we will have birds in
> our GDM) which would be a light theme, with light grey panels and a
> bright title bar meant to look good with the Default xfwm's active and
> inactive look. It would use a brighter blue and we would tweak it here
> and there to look good with the smooth side of the Humanity icons. We
> would be  going from a very contrasted gtk theme and icon theme to
> something much smoother, which i believe is important when you use
> your computer daily.
Squeek!

>     >> 4. xfwm theme
>     >>
>     >> I propose we still keep with the Xfce default. I like it, a lot.
>     >>
>     >
>     > We had this discussion on #xubuntu-devel a while ago - I still
>     like joining the menu-bar
>     > and xfwm.
>     >
>     I personally don't like joined menubar and xfwm. What is the view
>     of the
>     majority here? Opinions please. As it's relatively easy to change the
>     xfwm, I think we should go with the default Xfce one if we are in a
>     standoff situation – the default will not be as controversial than a
>     joined one. I think. :)
>

> As I said above, some themes are just too sexy when the title bar and
> xfwm theme are unified - while others look really good without
> unifying these. The default Xubuntu theme should use the default xfwm,
> because that one rocks and is part of our visual identity too. That
> one can't have unified title bars, but it's really not a problem as
> long as the title bar is not darker than the inactive xfwm window look.
So, which one is meant to be the default (and have the default xfwm – or
should both do)? Earlier I thought the dark theme would be the default
(my strong preference). Sorry if I accent on this too much, but I would
like the Alvaro xfwm to be optional.

>     >
>     >> 5. U/Xsplash / Live CD boot menu
>     >>
>     >> Do we want a basic logo only? Do the technical reasons keep us from
>     >> doing anything else? Can we still change the U/Xsplash at this
>     time? Is
>     >> the image the only thing we want to change or are we going to do
>     >> something with the throbber et cetera? Or will we just use the
>     Ubuntu
>     >> theme [7], change the colors and the logo? Will Michael be able
>     to help
>     >> with Usplash, if we need help? Cody, I need especially your
>     input on
>     >> this one.
>

> Something
> like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlCVrtgxVcI&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlCVrtgxVcI&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1> rocks but
> I don't think it's implementable. I'll try to grab some of Mat
> Tomaszewski's time monday to talk about the limits of xsplash theming.
> I think the pink iteration 6
> in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Karmic/Boot has very nice
> shapes, and that with a blue background could look just fine. We could
> just replace the Ubuntu 9.10 + the logo above the slider by a single
> XFCE mouse, of approximately 1.5 times the width of the logo, in the
> middle, and add nothing else. Thoughts ?
If it's possible (Mads' "4th") anyway, I might be able to pull a
programmer for this job. I think we really could use the default Ubuntu
theme recolored (as Lionel suggested) if anything else fails. It doesn't
really look bad and this can become quite a big burden if we keep on
insisting doing something else than Ubuntu does. It has already become
quite hard to match what they are having, even without talking about
surpassing.

The mice might work well, but I think we would still want that the word
"Xubuntu" would appear somewhere. Also, I don't know if it would be
marketwise intelligent to not include the (X)ubuntu logo – even if we
use Xfce and we love it, we are not Xfce. We are Xubuntu, which is kind
of part of Ubuntu, so we can't dismiss the Ubuntu marketing completely.
It is clear that the Xubuntu logo would not work as the Ubuntu logo
(monochrome I mean; as the mouse is overlapping the circle), so what to
do then? I don't know. Any other ideas?

>     >>
>     >
>     > I think recoloring the Ubuntu-theme would be fine.
>     >
>     > Sorry that I wasn't very active lately, but I've been travelling
>     a lot and that minimized
>     > my internet-access and irc time drastically. From October on
>     this should be better again.
>     >
>     No problem. Great to hear from you again, though – welcome back!
>     > Alrighty, keep up the good work and kudos to Pasi for creating
>     such nice artwork -
>     > you are the master of blue!
>     >
>     > Simon