Karmic Artwork

Lionel Le Folgoc mrpouit at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 12 11:00:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 05:17:00AM +0300, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> Here is the current state of the artwork cycle for Karmic. There hasn't
> been that much discussion, so I would be really glad if you could give
> your opinions on things.
>

> 1. Wallpaper / gdm theme
>
> There is a draft version of the wallpaper/gdm theme on emonk.fi [1]. As
> on the Jaunty cycle, I think we'll just use a modified gdm theme as the
> background. Maybe lighter colors for the tree for wallpaper mode? This
> wallpaper works for both wides and normal monitors. Cody suggested it's
> a bit too blocky for his taste, but what others of you think? Personally
> I think it's a good depart from the earlier style [2], but it could
> maybe be a bit lighter. (As I look it now, it needs some more texture at
> least.) Opinions please.

I like it. ;)
The only problem at the moment is that I've not been able to change the
background picture of the new gdm. :]

> 2. Icon theme
>
> We are currently using Gnome Brave [3]. Steve suggests that the new
> community-based theme Humanity [4] would be worth using. I agree, but we
> should test run it [5].
>

> 3. GTK+ theme
>
> We want to refresh our GTK+ theme. Steve suggests that we use something
> Alvaro [6] -based, and personally I'm totally fine with that. Overall it
> looks quite good and with some tweaks to the menubar and colors, I think
> we're fine. Opinions?

Although this is a bit brownish (i.e. not the Xubuntu blue),
alvaro+humanity looks nice.

Also, you should be aware that the default desktop theme (gtk+ and
icons) will also be used by the new gdm…

> 4. xfwm theme
>
> I propose we still keep with the Xfce default. I like it, a lot.
>

> 5. U/Xsplash / Live CD boot menu
>
> Do we want a basic logo only? Do the technical reasons keep us from
> doing anything else? Can we still change the U/Xsplash at this time? Is
> the image the only thing we want to change or are we going to do
> something with the throbber et cetera? Or will we just use the Ubuntu
> theme [7], change the colors and the logo? Will Michael be able to help
> with Usplash, if we need help? Cody, I need especially your input on
> this one.

As I said yesterday on irc, I have resynced usplash-theme-xubuntu's code
with the one from usplash-theme-ubuntu (size, position, but I kept blue
colors from the current theme) in an experimental branch (not committed
yet). So the "only" thing that remains to do is to adapt the pngs from
the ubuntu usplash theme to xubuntu, and it should be ok.

Of course, I'm speaking about usplash. Since xsplash has been a great
success so far when I tried it (it displayed a beautiful white area on
the left top quarter of my screen), I won't be able to help with it. ;)

> 6. Documentation theming
>
> We will try to theme the documentation with Jim. I am waiting details on
> this.
>

> 7. New website look
>
> As we are switching from Drupal to WordPress [8], we need to create a
> new look for the website [9]. It is still unsure if any of this will
> happen before Karmic release, but it's definitely coming and I'm hoping
> we can create something that lasts for a bit longer than the current,
> big and clumsy design. It might have looked great then, but it's really
> starting to wear out. If you have any ideas, come on and let the rest of
> us know them.
>

> 8. For your reference...
>
> [1] http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/9.10/Mockups/06-hires.png
> [2]
> http://www.23hq.com/23666/4154747_d462059598bebaa18474a71275015777_large.jpg
> [3] http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562
> [4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Karmic/Humanity_Icons
> [5] http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/humanity-icon-theme
> [6] http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Alvaro?content=104145
> [7] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBeNMk2W6hw
> [8] http://wordpress.org/
> [9] http://xubuntu.org/
>
> Phew!
>
> --
> Pasi Lallinaho
> Xubuntu Marketing Lead
> Web-designer, graphic artist
> IRC: knome @ freenode

Thanks for your work!
Cheers,
Lionel

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
E61E 116D 4BA1 3936 0A33  F61D 65D9 A66E 10E2 969A