Karmic Artwork

Pasi Lallinaho open at knome.fi
Sat Sep 12 02:17:00 UTC 2009

Here is the current state of the artwork cycle for Karmic. There hasn't
been that much discussion, so I would be really glad if you could give
your opinions on things.

1. Wallpaper / gdm theme

There is a draft version of the wallpaper/gdm theme on emonk.fi [1]. As
on the Jaunty cycle, I think we'll just use a modified gdm theme as the
background. Maybe lighter colors for the tree for wallpaper mode? This
wallpaper works for both wides and normal monitors. Cody suggested it's
a bit too blocky for his taste, but what others of you think? Personally
I think it's a good depart from the earlier style [2], but it could
maybe be a bit lighter. (As I look it now, it needs some more texture at
least.) Opinions please.

2. Icon theme

We are currently using Gnome Brave [3]. Steve suggests that the new
community-based theme Humanity [4] would be worth using. I agree, but we
should test run it [5].

3. GTK+ theme

We want to refresh our GTK+ theme. Steve suggests that we use something
Alvaro [6] -based, and personally I'm totally fine with that. Overall it
looks quite good and with some tweaks to the menubar and colors, I think
we're fine. Opinions?

4. xfwm theme

I propose we still keep with the Xfce default. I like it, a lot.

5. U/Xsplash / Live CD boot menu

Do we want a basic logo only? Do the technical reasons keep us from
doing anything else? Can we still change the U/Xsplash at this time? Is
the image the only thing we want to change or are we going to do
something with the throbber et cetera? Or will we just use the Ubuntu
theme [7], change the colors and the logo? Will Michael be able to help
with Usplash, if we need help? Cody, I need especially your input on
this one.

6. Documentation theming

We will try to theme the documentation with Jim. I am waiting details on
this.

7. New website look

As we are switching from Drupal to WordPress [8], we need to create a
new look for the website [9]. It is still unsure if any of this will
happen before Karmic release, but it's definitely coming and I'm hoping
we can create something that lasts for a bit longer than the current,
big and clumsy design. It might have looked great then, but it's really
starting to wear out. If you have any ideas, come on and let the rest of
us know them.

8. For your reference...

[1] http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/9.10/Mockups/06-hires.png
[2]