Tuning compcache/ramzswap to allow (X)ubuntu LiveCD install with 128MB of RAM

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 16:51:55 BST 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Eero Tamminen <oak at helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
> On Saturday 10 October 2009, John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
>> Using the default compcache size of 25% of RAM I was not able to use
>> the ubiquity installer on the last alpha of the Ubuntu Live CD in a
> What prevents using real swap?

There won't be any swap partition configured the first time Linux is
installed. Even if there was a swap partition, the partition editor
needs to umount all partitions, including swap, to allow the kernel to
reload the partition table. (It may be possible to work around this if
no new partitions are created and/or the swap is on a different
physical harddisk).

> If the problem is really running out of memory, assigning part of memory for
> compcache makes things only worse.  It helps only if you really cannot have

One could let the physical swap have a higher priority, or only use
compcache when no physical swap is present. There is a new feature of
Compcache that allows the compressed pages to be swapped out to hard
disk. Playing around with these newer features may be productive for
10.04 LTS.

This was the bug report where I suggested adding compcache to allow
install on 256MB machines.
In addition to adding compcache, an option to run ubiquity without a
full desktop environment was added. Together these two enhancements
can allow installs with only 128MB of RAM.

John C. McCabe-Dansted