Xubuntu Website Software (was: Re: UDS Karmic Goals)

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:11:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi> wrote:

> Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi
> > <mailto:open at knome.fi>> wrote:
> >

> There is no need to start a flamewar about the subject. Again I feel
> that this is one of the situations where I think having experts from
> different areas matter - the experts in web should be listened more when
> we are talking about things concerning web.

FWIW, the Ubuntu server team just has a team blog up at
ubuntuserver.wordpress.com. Not very fancy!  The launchpad team has a blog
up at blog.launchpad.net.  The Kubuntu team does not have a team blog.

I do like the idea of having a team blog, though. A team blog is different
than a planet in that the team blog belongs to the project, and the
authorship does not belong to one person.  Also, the content seems more
polished than one might find on a regular developer blog.  (No offense to
regular developer blogs . . . ).  I'm comfortable with individual developer
blogs just being on planet.ubuntu.com, but if others feel otherwise - that's
ok, too.

With regards to our current site are the RSS Feeds for Xubuntu.org broken?
Is Drupal limited in how well it can configure RSS feeds, or are we just not
using it right?  Pasi, it sounds like you are suggesting that we move
Xubuntu.org to Worpress MU, correct?

All things being equal, I would like to stay with Drupal to stay consistent
with the other Ubuntu flavors, if possible.  If an upgrade to Drupal, or
adding in additional modules, would give us more features (or fix existing
features), I think we should look at that before considering moving
everything over to Wordpress.

A bit offtopic, but I think the Oxford Archaeology blog is a good example of
a "team blog done well."  In fact, generally speaking the other team blogs
(Q.A., Launchpad, Server Team) are done pretty well, too . . . It's just
that the O.A. blog stands out to me as one that is particularly well-done.
For example, it has content you don't find elsewhere, the posts are
well-organized, it includes grahics where relevant, and they break-up
sections of text with different headings to make it easier to read.  That
would be the kind of professionalism that I would expect from Xubuntu team
blog entries.

Jim