Jaunty Artwork Update

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Tue Mar 17 09:10:27 UTC 2009

Lionel Le Folgoc wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 07:20:23PM +0100, Jelle de Jong wrote:
>> Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:

>>>     Thanks for all your hard work :)
>>>
>>>     I tried the GDM theme here on Intrepid but it didn't work (it just
>>>     displayed a default theme), but that might be because it's Intrepid...
>>>
>>>     Anyway, I had some concerns regarding shipping stuff after the
>>>     release. Does that mean that people's themes will be changed with a
>>>     normal system update? I can very well imagine people not
>>>     appreciating this.
>>>

>>> It won't happen ;)
>>>

>>>     Also, perhaps it would be better to ship it with Karmic anyway so we
>>>     then have a really polished updated desktop and generate some buzz
>>>     with that ;-)
>>>
>>>     --
>>>     Vincent
>> I would also like to come with a request regarding the packaging of the
>> icons, gtk theme, gdm artwork, usplash etcetera. Can we please package
>> all these items separately [...]
>
> This can probably be done for karmic. But please file a bug report
> against xubuntu-artwork, otherwise it's going to be forgotten...
>
>> [...] and also upload theme to debian upstream. Then
>> create a virtual package special for this xubuntu release and have the
>> necessary other packages as dependencies. This way the artwork can also
>> be used by other distributions, especially for icons, gkt themes and
>> usplash this would be very much appreciated.
>
> I fail to see the point in uploading xubuntu-* to Debian for example:
> this is really xubuntu-specific, and not really applicable to Debian‽
>
> Indeed, icons and gtk+ themes should be packaged separately, in their
> own package (gtk-engines-* and gnome-icon-theme-*), as they are not
> xubuntu-specific at all.

Done, see:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-artwork/+bug/344130

And I did not mean the xubuntu-* to be uploaded to debian upstream :-)
But i was revering to the individual artwork and then make a xubuntu-*
package that depends on them and keep this package in the ubuntu
repository, this way the individual artwork packages will be available in
other distributions.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Jelle