Jaunty Artwork

Pasi Lallinaho open at knome.fi
Mon Mar 9 08:31:01 UTC 2009

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 05:25:24 +0200
> Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi> wrote:
>

>> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>>
>>> I did test these using a P2 400MHz cpu with 320MB ram. The video
>>> card only has 4MB memory, so this could be greatly different than a
>>> new system. I did not find any of these slow my system down more
>>> than any other, which normally is very noticable with an old
>>> system.
>>>
>>> If need be, I can lower the ram to 128MB and repeat the tests
>>>
>> Thanks Charlie for the valuable information! If you want to test with
>> 128 (or probably 192, because that's our minimum recommended for
>> desktop), it would be great.
>>
>> One more update: My suggestion for countdown banners for Jaunty can be
>> seen at http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/jaunty-countdown/. Those pictures
>> are created by a very intelligent script, so modifications can be done
>> easily.
>>

> Okay, tested again, with 192MB ram and 256MB ram. We should keep in
> mind that this system is using an old STB Velocity (Riva 128) 4MB video
> card. It is also connected to an older 17" CRT.
>
> Learn is a 19-page AbiWord document. Help is from clicking the Help
> icon
>
> 192MB ram:
>
> Shiki Brave
> Help opens in 13 seconds; Learn opens in 27 seconds
> Scrolling is very bad; stops every 3-4 pages, have to click
> again to start scrolling again (it will not scroll through the document
> at one time)
>
> Murrine-tangoesque
> Help opens in 21 seconds; Learn opens in 27 seconds
> Scrolling is fairly smooth; it is jerky, as it catches up in the
> document, but never stops
>
> Murrine-stormcloud
> Help opens in 24 seconds; Learn opens in 25 seconds
> Scrolling is fairly bad; it is very jerky, and stops and starts visibly.
>
> 256MB ram:
>
> Shiki Brave
> Help opens in 13 seconds; Learn opens in 17 seconds
> Scrolling is very bad; stops every 3-4 pages, but will continue if the
> button is kept down
>
> Murrine-tangoesque
> Help opens in 13 seconds; Learn opens in 21 seconds
> Scrolling is fairly smooth; it is jerky, as it catches up in the
> document, but never stops
>
> Murrine-stormcloud
> Help opens in 18 seconds; Learn opens in 21 seconds
> Scrolling is fairly bad; it is very jerky, and stops and starts visibly.
>
> By my testing, Shiki-Brave is going to lead to disappointed users,
> since usability is visibly reduced. If the scrolling did not stop, it
> would be more useable. Murrine-tangoesque is the smoothest scrolling
> and is the best choice for useability, but the text is very hard to
> see. If we could darken the text in it, this would be the best choice
> on older, slower systems. Murrine-stormcloud has easy to see text and
> boxes, but does not scroll well when reading the large file.

> [...]
Based on the conversations at IRC and these test results I finally
decided yesterday that we are not going to ship Shiki-brave with
Xubuntu. Instead, I started modifying Murrine-Tangoesque and I have now
fairly similar theme than Shiki-brave with the Murrine engine. It is in
no way perfect yet and we will need extensive testing even once I've
looked it through a few times.

Volunteers, please step up!

--
Pasi Lallinaho